top of page

Study Visa

If you are a foreign national and wish to study in Canada, you may need a study permit.

 A study permit grants you the status to remain in Canada. You may also receive the following benefits:

1. Attend your dream school,

2. Work and earn money during your study or regular breaks,

3. Your spouse/common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit,

4. You may receive certain government benefits,

5. You may be eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), and

6. Your Canadian education may be helpful for your permanent resident application.

Study in Canada with or without a study permit

There are situations where you may study in Canada without a study permit:

1. The length of your study is less than 6 months,

2. Your study is online or distance learning,

3. If you are attending pre-school, elementary school, or secondary school (high school),

4. You are a foreign government representative, or you are a family member of such a representative,

5. You are a member of foreign armed forces.

In all other cases, you will likely need a study permit.

Where you may apply for a study permit

You may apply for a study permit either in or outside Canada. if you are applying while in Canada, you must have already held a valid work permit, study permit, or been a refugee claimant.

Please note that you cannot apply while in Canada as a visitor unless you are completing prerequisite courses for your intended study.

Eligibility Requirements

Generally speaking, you must meet the following requirements for a study permit:

1. You have enough money to pay your tuition, textbooks, flights between your country of residence and Canada, and living expenses,

2. The school you are going to attend is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI),

3. You have received a valid letter of admission from the school,

4. You are admissible to Canada (i.e., criminal background, health, etc.), and

5. You meet other country-specific requirements.

The validity of a study permit does not always cover the length of your study. In some cases, you may need to apply to extend your study permit. Remember, you shall maintain a valid status while in Canada at all times.

Dual Intent

Dual intent refers to when you apply for a study permit, you also present the desire of becoming a Canadian permanent resident.

Having dual intent does not necessarily lead to a refusal decision. However, it is problematic when you show your intent to study in Canada is not genuine.

Some people might find themselves eligible for a study permit and admissible to Canada but still receive a refusal decision. The reason could be dual intent.

Therefore, if you present dual intent, you need to address it properly.

How I can help you

For a successful application for a study visa, it is crucial to meet all eligibility requirements and address any concerns regarding inadmissibility.

  • I personalize my services for you based on your personal circumstances:
  • I assess your eligibility for a study visa.
  • I provide you with advice on how to meet eligibility requirements if you do not qualify yet.
  • I help you identify potential inadmissibility issues.
  • I support you gaterhing necessary supporting documentation for your application.
  • I guide you through the entire process and provide advice and instructions as needed.
  • I help you avoid mistakes that may cause delays or refusal.
  • I complete, prepare, organize and submit your application on your behalf.
  • I am your voice to Canadian immigration authorities.
bottom of page